Article delegate-en/293 of [1-5042] on the server localhost:7119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Question about the cache
12 Feb 1999 14:06:06 GMT ysato@etl.go.jp (Yutaka Sato)

On 02/12/99(22:04) you "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F6l=E9tormos_Csaba?=" <pdmaabdyi-mxpjbykcmvt6.ml@delegate.org> wrote
in <_A292@delegate-en.ML_>
 |maybe it's a stupid question:
 |if I browse the /var/spool/delegate/cache/ftp directory the cached files are fully
 |usable( not broken, not truncated, etc...)
 |if I browse the /var/spool/delegate/cache/http directory, I couldn't found any
 |gif jpeg or html that were usable. All of them (the few dozen, i try) were broken!
 |What does 'cache' mean here, if files are not complete? And I think, they are
 |broken at a random position....I guess, it would occupate a very-very large
 |diskspace for full files, but the question is about 'cache'
 |
 |[the nntp cache are also good for offline reading]

HTTP-DeleGate caches whole of each HTTP response message in a cache file
which consists of message header and body in MIME/RFC822 formart that is
compatible with the format of E-mail  message (Internet mail).
Stripping header part from a cache file, from the first line to empty
line, you can get the body part of the message which is the very content
of the message data, like GIF or JPEG.

I've thought separating cache file of a HTTP message into header part file
and body part file might be necessary to support full of HTTP/1.1
specification with Cookie, and it make it easy to share body part got via
other server of other prtocol like FTP, and it may be useful for users
like you.  But as disadvantage it will expend files about twice times to
current implementation then it will be serious in a huge caching proxy.

So I've been concerned how to cache HTTP messages and your question is
not stupid.