Article delegate-en/4131 of [1-5105] on the server localhost:119
[Reference:]
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

Re: performance measurements and socks question
13 Sep 2008 09:43:44 GMT     "Andre E." <pzyhqbdyi-jz2l3vihuhx6.ml@delegate.org>

Yutaka Sato wrote:
> In message  on 09/11/08(21:08:29)
> you Andre  wrote:
>  |> In message  on 09/11/08(11:51:18) I wrote:
>  |>  | |We would also like to know whether it is possible to use the BIND
>  |>  | command to open a specific port on the SOCKS server
>  |>  | |not just for one client connection, but for multiple client connections.
>  |>  |
>  |>  |Is it possible with other implementations of a SOCKS server?
>  |>  |Since the tcp connection established by the BIND command on the SOCKS
>  |>  |protocol becomes a transparent connection with the remote peer after
>  |>  |the ACCEPT command, there is no chance to reuse it for another ACCEPT.
>  |>
>  |> If your intension is just to use a persistent port (as 80/HTTP)
>  |> to accept client's connection via the SOCKS server, (not to repeat
>  |> ACCEPT on the same SOCKS connection), you can use SRCIF with PORTS as this:
>  |>
>  |>   PORTS="xx.xx.xx.xx:80"
>  |>   SRCIF="xx.xx.xx.xx:80:tcpbind"
>
> Sorry, it is not "PORTS" but "PORT" as the reference manual says :p
>
>  |> If necessary, you can restrict this mapping of reserved port-number based
>  |> on the destination host (to be indicated by the SOCKS client) and the
>  |> IP-address of the SOCKS client's host, or by user name with AUTHORIZER.
>  |>
>  |This is my intention, but I would like to be able to do this at runtime,
>  |so that I send a command to the server server that there is a service X
>  |which wants
>  |to accept connections through the server at a specific port. And this
>  |should be a persistent port, possibly with timeout.
>
> I don't see the insufficiency by PORT and SRCIF for your requirement.
>
> If necessary, you can select a port to be bound dynamically based on the
> request from the SOCKS-client, using the DST.ADDR and/or DST.PORT field
> of the BIND command (which is intended to specify the control connection
> to a FTP server but will not be used in other protocols) to indicate the
> desired port to be bound, using a set of SRCIFs conditional on the
> destination host (SRCIF=host:port:proto:dsthost:srchost).
>
> You can omit PORT commands to reserve ports to be used.  But reserving
> a port is desirable to keep the LISTEN queue alive persistently not to
> drop the connection requests for it when there is no SOCKS-client to
> bind/accept from the port.
Hi.

I played around with the VSAP protocol as well as with the HTTP ACCEPT
method
and it works a long as I'm only dealing with one client. This is
probably due to the fact
that once a client connects to the opened port, this port becomes bound
by this client
so no other client can connect to this port.

I should probably explain my scenario a little more in detail.
Say I have three delegated proxies running somewhere and one, say HTTP
server running
somewhere else. The HTTP server now wants to provide it's service, but
not directly from
his location, but from a location of one of the delegated proxies. The
HTTP server then connects
to one of the proxies and tells it that all requests made on a specific
port, should be forwarded/relayed
to it on httpserverIP:port.

If now a client, wants to connect to the HTTP server, it should do so by
connecting to the proxy:port
which the HTTP server assigned this responsibility. This is also due to
the fact that clients don't
know the real httpserverIP:port of the HTTP server.

So the proxy server needs to be capable of starting a second server
process, on a specific port,
on demand which only allows connecting transparently to httpserverIP:port.
This could for example be a HTTP/SOCKS proxy server only allowing
connect to httpserverIP:port.

Is such a thing already possible with the current implementation?

Best regards,
Andre

  search upper oldest olders older1 this newer1 newers latest